Parkdale Community Legal Services

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Home Getting Help How We Can Help

What We Do

PCLS assistance in four main areas of law, as described below:

Social Assistance, Violence & Health



  • Ontario Works (OW) benefits
  • Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) benefits
  • Appeals, informal advocacy and negotiation regarding eligibility for benefits, overpayments, access to special diet, community start up and other benefits
  • Violence Against Women (partner assault, sexual assault, childhood sexual abuse)
  • Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB) applications
  • Victim Witness Accompaniment (through criminal justice system process)
  • Assistance in above areas also for victims of racist or homophobic assaults, other hate crimes or assaults by police
  • Mental Health (summary advice and referrals only):
  • Involuntary patients
  • Finances controlled by Public Guardian and Trustee (PGT)



Immigration and Refugee

  • Humanitarian and Compassionate landing applications
  • Refugee claims and pre-removal risk assessment applications
  • Landing and family reunification of refugees
  • Work permits, visitor extensions
  • Admittance to schools for immigrant children
  • OHIP for immigrants and renewing interim federal health coverage
  • Loan application for right of landing fee
  • Invitation letters to visitors
  • Sponsorship of relatives
  • Deportation and sponsorship appeals
  • Federal Court applications for judicial review

Workers’ Rights

  • Basic rights in the workplace, including unpaid wages, minimum wage, pay for overtime, termination pay, and other entitlements
  • Human rights in the workplace, including discrimination and harassment
  • Employment insurance benefits
  • Workplace rights on “independent contractors”, temp workers, domestic workers, and workers without status
  • Police and security guard violence especially where directed at members of marginalized groups

Housing Rights

  • Evictions and illegal rent increases
  • Illegal evictions
  • Work with homeless
  • Housing-related harassment and discrimination
  • Release from a lease
  • Information about moving, sublet, privacy, illegal rent deposits
  • Withholding of tenants’ belongings
  • Vital services such as heat, hydro and water
  • Issues surrounding care-homes and rooming houses

PCLS will not advise in a dispute between tenants and will not advise landlords

Commissioning Documents

PCLS will commission a document for a person who lives INSIDE the Parkdale and Swansea area if the document is in French or English, and the person swears that what the document says is true. We can also prepare an affidavit if the person does not have one ready. Affidavits for Ontario Works, ODSP, housing agencies, immigration and employment are examples of documents we help with. We do NOT, however, help with documents about property, divorce, separation and other matrimonial matters. Nor do we help with wills or power of attorney.  We commission and notorize documents for people above our financial guidelines.

Commissioning services are offered on Tuesdays from 2:00 PM to 5:00PM and Thursdays from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM.

Our commissioning services operate under a pay-what-you-can policy.


Upcoming Events

There are no events at this time

Contact Us

1266 Queen Street West (map)
Toronto, Ontario
M6K 1L3

Tel (416) 531-2411
Fax (416) 531-0885